
Well so far in my CEP416 class I've explored the Google RSS feed homepage, Google reader and Google Earth and have been blown away by the possibilities. Now to add one more Google App to my lineup is Google Docs. The introduction of this came at the perfect time because my Microsoft Word is out of commission right now and Google Docs provides me with all the same features! I was amazed that something like this was available on the internet (and extremely thankful).
Google Docs provides the same interface as other word processing programs; you can make word documents, presentations, spreadsheets and forms. As far as using this in the classroom goes, there are millions of ways! It would be a great peer editing tool as students could post their documents and invite their fellow students to read and edit them. Students could also submit papers to teachers to review and edit as well. I also checked out the form section which is awesome! You can make questions (it even has a multiple choice option!) which would be SO helpful in the classroom whether polling students or giving them online quizzes. This could help save a lot of paper and time. Google Docs also provides you with templates, such as the resume we were assigned, which could be very beneficial to students.
Overall Google Docs offers the same tools as other popular programs that cost hundreds of dollars plus makes it extremely easier to share and edit information instead of dealing with multiple, pesky emails. All you do is click "Invite" and you can email as many people as you want to share your document and either give them the option to edit or not edit it. All of your documents can be stored in one place on the internet so there's not need to carry around a bulky PC or even a tiny zip drive! I can't wait discover whatever else Google has to offer :)
great pic to go along with your post. While I definitly feel like Google apps are beneficial and helpful, I can't help feeling like Googles gonna take over the world...
ReplyDeleteI definitely agree with your blog post. I recently started using Google Docs this year and I love it. The nice thing about it is that you can save your documents to the google site, and then whenever you sign onto Google docs they will always be there. I really enjoy this feature when I am using a computer that is located in a public area, because then I don't have to worry about transferring my documents and losing them.
ReplyDelete