So after some research online it seems to me that if you're looking for a cheap, basic, sturdy and easily portable computer- go for the netbook. Keep in mind that if you're a big Microsoft fan, many come with the operating system Linux so you may be moving a little bit out of your comfort zone. Other cons that I have read about online include a shorter battery life, very slow internet access, smaller keyboard, less memory (aka harder to type) and limited funtionability. The classic laptop, clearly, counters all the cons that the netbook presents and is more appropriate for a business setting. You are, however, going to be shelling out a LOT more money.
What it boils down to after reading various articles is the context you're going to be using your computer for will probably determine what computer is best for you. For someone like my dad who enjoys simply playing poker online, this could be a great option for him. For me though, a netbook would not be sufficient enough to do all of the things I rely on my laptop for. If I lived in my dream world I would have both; a netbook to take to class for notes and internet and a laptop for home use. Maybe if I win the lottery someday soon?! If anyone has a netbook- let me know what you think!

Samsung NC10 ($399)

Dell Mini 10 ($349)

ASUS EEEPC 1000HE ($385)

Acer Aspire One ($349)

MSI Wind ($329)
*Top 5 Netbooks according to Lifehacker
yeah I'm definetly going to get one of these. I've been looking into them for over a year (actually before they were beginning to get big) for a few reasons. 1. I have a really nice desktop so I dont even have a laptop to tote around with me. 2. they are small and can fit practically anywhere without weighing very much at all. 3. they are great for taking notes for class. Having a main computer, it will be nice to have a little one to carry around for minor things. I really like how cheap they are, especially with the competition for improvement! So I completely agree with these "little wonders" you discussed in your blog! :) plus they are kinda cute!
ReplyDeleteSo, this is really interesting. I wish that I would have gone with a desktop and then had this for classes. I only wish that I had a smaller laptop for class because mine is so heavy that I don't even take it anyways. I find it difficult shoving it into my bag and then carrying around all day. This would even be useful for the classroom for students to do research for their projects instead of getting a bunch of desktops for the classroom.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately speed is of the essence when playing poker on line. Players get upset when they play against people who use dial up or slow computers.
ReplyDelete