Friday, November 6, 2009

Noisemakers



I've been meaning to rant about microphones in the classroom for a while and it was brought to my attention again this past week at my placement. I could barely concentrate while tutoring in a conference room adjacent to a room where the teacher was using a microphone. She wasn't using it to simply speak into it, she was literally screaming at the class and her louder voice certainly wasn't affecting the behavior of the students. This makes me wonder, is a microphone really necessary in class? Clearly it did not help in this one. I personally don't believe in the use of microphones in the classroom, I think that it's a technology integration that is a bit over the top and not completely necessary while trying to tame students. I believe that when a teacher has established true respect between themselves and their students (a key goal that I plan to focus on) that any type of yelling whatsoever should not be necessary. I love all of the other types of technology that I've seen put to use in the classroom with the exception of this one.

4 comments:

  1. That's obnoxious! I always thought the purpose of a microphone when speaking to others was to spread your voice amongst a large crowd to assure everyone could hear you...in an elementary classroom this shouldn't be an issue..in fact, it seems like it would be more of a distraction to the students...do you know whether or not she uses this daily or on occasion?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time that I've been in the conference room on Thursdays, it has been the same, loud mic in use!! So frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow thats really interesting! I think it would be really annoying and frustrating to be both a student and another student in another class. On the other hand, I feel like microphones would be good to some extent since some teachers are very soft spoken and quiet. Some students are too shy to ask the teacher to speak up. But I dont know if I agree with microphones either in the sense that screaming would be over the top and teachers would take it too far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I can see your ponit about soft spoken teachers. This one clearly does not have that problem haha

    ReplyDelete