Monday, September 28, 2009

Copyright Confusion!

Photo Attribution:
Original Image: "Cantabria. Santander. Paseo de Pereda street. Spain"
By: Tomas Fano
Released under a Attribution-Share Alike license


Well I must say that this copyright lab has taken me quite a while to grasp! I really like the Creative Commons page. It's nice to be able to browse content that I know I can actually use without getting sued! A problem that I did encounter with using the page versus searching images through Flikr itself was obtaining URLs because you can't follow the same steps as the Jing Video that Greg provided for us for citation purposes. I discovered that when you right click over the picture and click Properties that you can easily obtain the image URL from there (Same goes with the copyright license URL). This only need apply when obtaining material directly from the Creative Commons search engine since the URL alway stays the same at the top.

Anyways, the real purpose of the post to blog about how I can use images such as the one above (that is where I studied abroad in Spain, which I plan on telling my students about) in the curriculum that I plan to teach. Seeing as I am an aspiring Spanish teacher, I plan to incorporate many lessons on the rich culture that the language revolves around. This will be made a lot easier with photos, videos, music etc. all of which I discovered that I can find in one place on the Creative Commons website! These will be very useful in showing my students things that we wouldn't normally be able to see without travelling thousands of miles. Hopefully images and sounds I provide for my students can engage them nts even more in the classroom and keep their attention longer. I also hope the content I provide will encourage them to go look for more Spanish related material online to explore in their spare time.


I remember a lot of my teachers using PowerPoints in high school that often contained images and videos and now after doing this lab, I wonder if it was even legal. It's interesting to think of all of the stipulations involved with using electronic media online. I'm hoping that I cited everything correctly (Feedback is appreciated if I have not!) and if you're interested in checking out my Flikr, go ahead and enjoy! It's completely boring as of right now but more pictures will be added soon, promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment