Thursday, September 17, 2009

My IGoogle

Surprisingly when we were asked to create an RSS feed, I had already unknowingly had one! I've had my IGoogle homepage for a while, I just wasn't aware that this was what it was called in the technology world. I used it everyday to check the weather before I left for the trek on campus. Now I know that I can also use it to do cool things like follow the blogs of people in my class and it will automatically update when they have a new post! I also added a gadget to mine to suit my addiction to horoscopes (which I also check religiously everyday). Before Delicious and other new apps I've learned about, I depended on my IGoogle to keep me updated on the latest news around the world from CNN and other similiar news sites. I discovered this really cool addition to my page that allows me to see the latest headlines from not only these worldwide news sites but also the State News! (Taking Back Sunday is coming here!). After reading Diedra's blog, I also learned that you can share blog feeds and such when you have another person's email, although I haven't quite grasped the concept yet. As she also pointed out, it's especially handy because you can sign in and access the same links and apps from any computer, anytime. This little page that pops up everytime I open a new Internet Explorer page really helps update me on the most important things that I need to know right when I need to know them!

3 comments:

  1. I wasn't aware of everything the RSS was capable of. I was honestly a little confused on what actually it was! it looks like from your blog though that it has a lot to offer. I still am subscribing to my groupmates blogs so hopefully that helps. The list of things you wrote on what RSS has is all new to me, I was very confused while signing up. I hope I can figure out everything you have, so this site can be as useful to me as it is to you! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest Stephanie, I can definitely relate to everything that you are talking about. I recently added igoogle.com about two weeks ago and I had no idea that I was using an RSS feed. I honestly don't know what I would do without it. I love reading all of the news updates throughout the world and State in itself. I'm hoping that what I learn in this class can help me benefit more from my RSS feed. I really enjoy logging on to see my favorite comics, the weather, fun facts...its a really cool tool that makes my day just a little better. It'll be interesting to see what Im already using and not aware of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie- to add stuff like the horoscopes and things you just go to the upper right corner-ish area (kind of under the sign out link) and there's a button that says "Add more" and you can search different things there. There's a lot of cool gadgets! :)

    ReplyDelete